26. I can’t understand how you ________ these unpleasant surroundings.
A) put out B) put down C) put up with D) put forward
27. I am ________ of your stupid conversation.
A) annoyed B) worried C) angry D) tired
28. They are building the dam in ________ with another firm.
A) comparison B) association C) touch D) tune
29. He is ________ a writer as a reporter.
A) more B) rather C) not so much D) not much
30. To be sure, some insects can build complex societies ________ different types of individuals performing different tasks.
A) taken from B) made of C) composed of D) developed from
31. If you do not fasten your safety belt, your chances of being ________ will be greater.
A) beaten B) hurt C) damaged D) stricken
32. This bird’s large wings ________ it to fly very fast.
A) able B) enable C) unsure D) cause
33. I found my daughter sitting in the kitchen, crying ________.
A) strongly B) bitterly C) heavily D) deeply
34. You are getting too old for football. You’d better ________ tennis instead.
A) take in B) take up C) take for D) take over
35. When the two young people were married, the ceremony was anything ________ up to data.
A) but B) beside C) except D) apart from
36. He didn’t mention anything about the party, ________ the date.
A) either even B) even nor C) even neither D) not even
37. This new method not only saves time but also saves energy ______ operating on two batteries instead to four.
A) in B) on C) by D) for
38. What ________ to him is whether the job allows him to pursue his studies.
A) matters B) refers C) happens D) applies
39. He said that very clearly so that nobody was in any ________ about what was meant.
A) doubt B) wonder C) question D) consideration
40. It is predicted that heavy rains are ________ to flood the area in a few days.
A) frightening B) threatening C) scattering D) warning
41. In most of the United States, the morning newspaper is ________ by school age children.
A) directed B) discharged C) derived D) delivered
42. Language has always been—as the phrase goes—the mirror to society. English is no ________.
A) explanation B) excuse C) exception D) expectation
43. Some confusion has ________ about who can join the association.
A) arisen B) lifted C) raised D) retained
44. It was unwise of him to ________ the unreliable data in his speech.
A) add to B) refer to C) keep to D) point to
45. The ceremony was not for the ________ of the dead, but for the comfort of the living.
A) purpose B) sake C) respect D) impression
46. It suddenly occurred to Anne that money couldn’t ________ all that Bob had suffered in the past five years.
A) make up for B) make out C) live up to D) live through
47. I think the Red Team will win the final game; it’s ________ that they will.
A) almost surely B) rather possibly C) very likely D) quite certainly
48. She accused the man ________ breaking into her house. A) of B) for C) at D) with
49. He often stopped at the sound of his own steps and was afraid to look ________ shoulder.
A) over B) back C) round D) beyond
50. The persons that have the greatest influence ________ children are their teachers.
A) in B) on C) for D) to
26.C 27.D 28.B 29.C 30.C31. B 32.B 33.B 34.B 35.A 36.D 37.C 38.A 39.A 40.B41.D 42.C 43.A 44.B 45.C 46.A 47.C 48.A 49.D 50.B