23. These boys who wanted to play football
were disappointed when it rained.
24. Every mascot that symbolizes the
Olympics is linked to the city and the country hosting the Games.
68. If the killing continues, this
wonderful animal , which took millions of years to develop, will be gone . (2005’)
25. “Nice” is the most overworked word in
the English language whose meaning can only be divined by its context.
26. American education owes a great debt to
Thomas Jefferson, who believed that only a nation of educated people could
67.Scientists are working on an electronic
device, which could make life easier for the people.
27. There are some metals which possess the
power to conduct electricity and ability to be magnetized.
28. More American troops are being sent to
the Middle East, as I have learnt from the newspaper.
29. As is the Chinese cook’s custom, my
mother always made negative remarks about her own cooking.
30. She was awarded a gold medal, which the
whole family considered a great honor.
31. He likes mountaineering, which is quite
a fashionable exercise.
32. A young man was shot yesterday by a man
in a stocking mask.
33. Thy young woman was abandoned by her
Poets are born, but orators are made.
34. Private enterprise and industry were
permitted and encouraged.
It + be + v-ed + that-clause
is estimated that…
has been decided that…
must be remembered that…
must be admitted that…
is taken for granted that…
It must be pointed out that…
is generally considered that…
It may be said without fear of exaggeration
35. It could be argued that the radio performs this service as well, but
on television everything is much more living, much more real.
36. These instruments must be handled with
37. These questions should not be confused.
38. Then with a bag of toys and books we
walked across the garden in the gray light of the dawn.
39. He was quick to use self-deprecating
humor to throw anyone off the scent.
40. A jeep, full, sped fast, drenching me
in a spray.
41. That he will come to the discussion is
42. He doesn’t know what life means to him.
43. The boy sat down on a stone to take a
pebble out of his shoe when he saw a stranger approaching him.
44. Hardly had I got abroad when the train
45. Here ends the diary of Dr. Watson.
46. Little did I then know the meaning of
war and what it was in reality.
47. I just hate everybody. No, not you,
Phyr, but everybody else.
48. He realized the “subtlety” of China’s
messages, the gap between her hot rhetoric and her cool action.
49. (1) Like charges repel; unlike charges
(2) I likes English more than mathematics.
(3) In the sunbeam passing through the window there are fine grains of
dust shining like gold.
(4) Like knows like.
50. (1) He was a man of high renown.
(2) His notoriety as a rake did not come until his death.
(3) Lao Wang keeps boasting that he has talked to the premier Wen.
(4) “He was polite and always gave advice willingly,” she recalled.
51. They talked about inflation,
unemployment and environmental pollution.
52. To him, the birds sang, the squirrel
chattered and the flowers bloomed.
53. He wandered about in the chill rain,
thinking and thinking, brooding and brooding .
54. The murderer ran away as fast as he
could, so that he might not be caught red-handed.
55. And he knew how ashamed he would have
been if she had known his mother and the kind of place in which he was born,
and the kind of people among whom he was born.
56. When Smith was drunk, he used to beat
his wife and daughter; and the next morning, with a headache, he would rail at
the world for its neglect of his genius, and abuse, with a good deal of
cleverness, and sometimes with perfect reason, the fools, his brother painters.